TEDxJohannesburg has revealed a rich and diverse line up of speakers for their next event, taking place on Friday 30 November 2018, at the soon to be reopened Vodacom World, in Midrand.
The theme for this, their flagship event, is Decoding Greatness. The intent is to celebrate Nelson Mandela – and others like him – in his centenary year.
This event, presented in the famous TED format of powerful, multiple, single-minded talks, each three minutes to eighteen minutes in length, is hosted with the support of Global Citizen Festival, and brought to you by Vodacom World.
The partnership with Global Citizen is a continent wide search for innovative young minds with ideas that could contribute to solving the world’s biggest challenges, as defined by the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Those selected will form the cohort for TEDxJohannesburg’s 2019 activation – an online mentorship programme running from January to December 2019, aptly titled 100Ideas100Millenials.
Speaking from New York, where she is currently in residency at TED, TEDxJohannesburg licensee Kelo Kubu had this to say: “With this year’s event, we feature the tales, deeds, and works of gurus, heroes, and legends – living and past, from all walks of life, across disciplines.”
Kubu went on to add, “Expect perspectives from giants in business, innovation, culture, scholarship, and sports – including visionary CEOs, legendary entrepreneurs, inspirational artists, incisive analysts, and champion performers.”
Confirmed speakers include the following:
1. Jacques Celleirs – CEO of FNB
2. André Vermeulen – International expert in the neuroscience of learning
3. Sahm Venter – Journalist, author and editor of books on Ahmed Kathrada, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, and Nelson Mandela
4. Laduma Ngxokolo – Textile designer, founder of Maxhosa by Laduma
5. Tanya Accone (Bangkok, Thailand) – Senior adviser on innovation at UNICEF
6. Janine Scholefield – CSIR biophysicist, geneticist, and stem cell researcher
7. Tebogo Malope – Award-winning director of commercials and music videos
8. Mariella Furrer (Nairobi, Kenya) – Photojournalist, author of My Piece of Sky: Stories of Child Sexual Abuse
9. Nompumelelo Mqwebu – Chef, author of Through the Eyes of an African Chef
10. Karim Sadr – Wits professor, rediscovered an ancient Tswana city using laser technology
11. Brian Green – Creator of 44 Stanley, urban planner and regenerator
12. Siphiwe Mhlambi – Photographer, recently presented Expressions, a widely acclaimed jazz photography exhibition
13. Ann Rosenberg (New York, USA) – Senior VP & Global Head of SAP Next-Gen
14. Simphiwe Makapela – Entrepreneur, co-founder of The Hamelin Rat Trap
15. Tony Lankester – CEO, National Arts Festival
16. Mandy Wiener – Investigative reporter, author of Killing Kebble, My Second Initiation, Ministry of Crime, and Behind Closed Doors
17. Bruce Watson – Conservationist, group executive at Dimension Data
18. Penny Heyns – Swimmer, double Olympic gold and bronze medalist
This is a particularly strong TEDxJohannesburg lineup. And what’s more, the organisers are expecting a few more exciting confirmations in the days ahead.
Book your seats early.
Get your ticket viahttp://tedxjohannesburg.co.za/decodinggreatness.html, or simply search for TEDxJohannesburg on https://www.quicket.co.za/.
A standard ticket costs R1500, with the early bird price set at R1200. Students and NGOs get special discounted rates. Seats are limited.
For media queries, interview requests and access to high res pics, please contact JT Comms on email@example.com or 011 788 7632
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or fewer) delivered by today’s leading thinkers and doers. Many of these talks are given at TED’s annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, and made available, free, on TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Monica Lewinsky, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
TED’s open and free initiatives for spreading ideas include TED.com, where new TED Talk videos are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from thousands of volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; the annual million-dollar TED Prize, which funds exceptional individuals with a “wish,” or idea, to create change in the world; TEDx, which provides licenses to thousands of individuals and groups who host local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, which selects innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
CLICK HERE to submit your press release to MyPR.co.za.
Submit and get free press releases here: MyPR Free Press Release.
Click here to list your business on BuyPE.