Replace timeouts and tears with the Glitter Time Out Bottle (or use it as a meditation bottle). Its ingenious – instead of sitting and fuming in timeout, your little one is mesmerised by the glitter and has a healthy way to soothe themselves and work through their emotions. Photo: Pinterest
If you’re a parent or teacher, you may be able to relate to some of these:
- Timeout and tears usually go hand-in-hand
- Your child has toys they never play with, but doesn’t want to let go of
- Moms and daughters need things that match
West Pack Lifestyle, a national chain of retail stores across South Africa, came up with creative ways to address these common pain points for parents. The aim is to re-use (and revamp) old favourites, while enjoying interactive play time with the kids. If you don’t find these items around the house, West Pack stores have craft supplies, toys, frames and bottles to create these ideas.
- Time Out Bottle
Replace timeouts and tears with the Glitter Time Out Bottle (or use it as a meditation bottle). Its ingenious – instead of sitting and fuming in timeout, your little one is mesmerised by the glitter and has a healthy way to soothe themselves and work through their emotions.
- Fill a plastic bottle or glass jar with ¾ hot water (the hot water helps the glitter glue to mix).
- Add glitter glue and glitter (the more glue used, the longer the glitter will stay suspended).
- The glue should settle in about 5 minutes (standard timeout time).
- Super glue the cap closed so your little one can’t open it again.
- DIY Picture Frames
Re-use your child’s favourite toys to create this memorable photo frame. We used Dala craft paint to repaint the old frame and classic soldier figurines, and stuck down the toy pieces with Amos craft glue.
- Matching Glitter-Glam Shoes
Glitter shoes are so easy and inexpensive to make at home. If it’s your first time, start with a plain pair of pumps or heels (without laces). The quickest way is to use Amos Glitter Glue or Dala Glitter Craft Paint, but you can make your own with glitter and modge podge (works as a glue, sealer and finish in one).
How to do it
- Prepare your working space with an old newspaper for glitter spills.
- If patent leather, sand shoes lightly and wipe with a cloth. Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Protect the soles of the shoe with masking tape, and the inners with newspaper stuffing.
- Pour modge podge/craft glue into a plastic cup, mix well (two parts glue to one part glitter).
- Aim for a thick paste consistency.
- Apply the first thin layer with a paint brush (or apply Glitter Glue or Fabric Paint direct)
- Set aside to dry completely before repeating the next layer (three layers should be enough).
- Seal in your homemade glitter glue with glue/modge podge or acrylic/polyurethane spray
If the glue looks white you’re doing it right – it will turn clear as it dries.
Too much glitter creates a clumpy finish.
Sprinkle extra loose glitter over the shoes while the glue is still wet for a sparkly, 3D effect.
All items mentioned in this article are available at West Pack Lifestyle stores nationwide, with the Amos crafts promotion ending 31 May 2018. Find your nearest store on www.westpacklifestyle.co.za
CLICK HERE to submit your press release to MyPR.co.za.
More Info on Weekend Kids Projects You’ll Love here: https://www.westpacklifestyle.co.za/pages/store-locator-1
Submit and get free press releases here: MyPR Free Press Release.
Click here to list your business on BuyPE.